Sunday, March 14, 2010

Montage

I have been reading a bit about rearing ethical and socially conscious kids this week.

I was quite blessed to have parents who understood the value of giving back and whose actions often spoke as loud or louder than their words. At times I know I challenged them by choosing paths at the extremes - journeys that were as mundane as hanging out with all "sorts" of kids or as extreme as living in places that literally put me in harms way.

I think it might be harder for kids today. Specifically, I think it may be harder for my kids today unless I am purposeful. They are bombarded with data from the news, papers, television shows. We limit the viewing but the layers and layers are there. I know they see more, hear more than I did at their age. At least from what I recall.

There are so many needs in our community and around the world. As the images and stories wash over us, I can see how easy it is to feel numb or paralyzed by it all. Through the montage of all the natural disasters, economic challenges, discrimination, spiritual scarcity, I am but one... what can I do?

I try to be a parent consistent in my own actions to the behaviors I expect of them. But even I wonder if I am doing enough to make the world a better place - each day, every day.

During different seasons of my life I did more, sometimes less. What season am I in now?

I want to think more on this throughout the coming week. What is the theme I am hopeful to pass on to Rachel and Nathan? Not that they will follow my path but rather than they seek out a path of servanthood that meets their dreams and ideals and calling...

No comments:

Post a Comment