Sunday, March 13, 2011

The World Feels Small

At this time of great loss and suffering, the world feels small.

I see the loss and devastation - lives and infrastructure - in Sendai, the coastal Y near the Japan earthquake's epicenter. Where I feel joy for those I know from Tokyo who are safe and accounted, but I also experience immense sadness for those I do not know but feel a kindred spirit with in Sendai. I wonder what would I do if my world was threatened so violently in an instant?

I feel the frustration of a friend in Israel with so much on his plate and few supportive resources when he needs them most. I contemplate how to do more.

I ponder the faces of children playing in trash rubble in Kosovo that a friend posts on Facebook. While I hear my own children bicker over petty items. I renew my commitment to expose them to realities which will strengthen their character.

I admire a friend who followed his dream of time with immediate family and a move loser to extended family. I resolve to build in real moments of connection with my own crew - near and far.

My nightly prayers should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment