Monday, July 29, 2013

Gamma-Girl

When you try to get healthy, you notice stuff. Preparing for a 1/2 Marathon, I am walking everyday and increasing my mileage. I am up to 6 miles on my way to the 13.1. That's the good news. I start strong but then my left leg starts to lag. That is the challenge. Predictable at .7 mile, my left leg starts to feel heavy and slightly drags. By 6 miles I look like Quasimodo limping along (sans hump). I went to an Ortho Doc for x-rays. Clear. Whew. "But since you have cancer..." (I wonder how often that clause will proceed stuff now?) Bone scan ordered, and off I went. Lovely Nurse Jackie kept me in stitches telling me of people who took her "go drink a lot" literally and come back drunk for the second half of the scans. The result they fall off the tiny gamma-ray table. So in my head I am thinking isotopes, gamma-rays, beers, oh my... I chose to drink a lot of water instead. Although I was tempted just for the story value. When I tell the kids this, Nathan reminds me gamma-rays are what made Bruce Banner into the Hulk... hoping not to be green but okay with turning into a superhero full of strength and invulnerability. Bone scan clear. On to the next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment